Sunday, May 7, 2017

More summer reading

Here are three more in addition to the summer reading I have already suggested. (Notice that on Blogger the newest material is at the top.)
  1. Laughing at My Nightmare by Shane Burcaw: True story of a 21-year-old man who suffers from spinal muscular atrophy. You would think this is either grim or greeting-card-sappy, but it's neither. I think what attracted me first was the cover photo of Shane in a wheelchair and the speech balloon coming out of his mouth says "$hi#!" He's really funny, really interesting, and a good writer. I'd love to be his friend.
  2. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury: This is fiction set in a future time when the government burns all books (451° is the temperature at which book paper burns) and controls all intellectual content. Real readers and writers are the cultural outcasts, hiding in the forest. I read this when I was in high school. I never recovered.
  3. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome Jerome (Don't you love the name?): Set about 100 years ago, this is a classic. Three young men and their dog set off on a leisurely camping trip down the Thames River. There's no real plot, no moral to the story. It's just a long, fine summer vacation. If nothing else, you'll learn how to make a tea kettle boil when you are using a camp stove. (The trick is to make the kettle believe that nobody wants any hot water. You get over close to it and announce, "I don't want any tea. Does anyone else?" and immediately it will come to a boil.)