Notice to Student-Athletes

I just received an email from Dr. Grady, the Director of Composition, with this paragraph. (I assume you already knew this material, but I am posting it here so we are all on the same page.)

Please note if you have student-athletes in your classes that coaches and the athletics’ staff want to be alerted to any issues asap—the student-athletes are required to inform their professors of any sanctioned absences due to game participation. Student athletes are NOT permitted to miss class for practice, advising, or photos or other team-related events that are not directly related to scheduled games where they are playing.

Normally you will get some kind of paperwork from your coach, telling you when the excused absences will occur. I want to see that. When this email refers to “any issues,” I take that to mean such things as being habitually late, missing deadlines for paper submission, getting lost in one’s phone, or dishonesty. The coaching faculty here really are interested in your welfare as a complete student, not just as an athlete.

Comments